We received a message from someone talking about how triggering Facebook photo memories are. Can you relate? Maybe you see the picture and you see how young and ‘good’ you looked, you think ‘WOW, I looked so good, and I actually thought I was fat’ or something like that. Then you feel sad and disappointed. Then regret. And down you go into that self-criticism loophole
This is because we live in a world of Diet Culture that also (generally) celebrates youth and shuns age. Yay… urghhh not.
The good thing is that we are aware of it!
For us personally, because we’ve spent the last 5 years working on self-acceptance, we’re no longer triggered by these photos.
In this episode, we chat about why we may feel triggered and how we can move through the feelings.
Stuff we talked about…
- Self-acceptance is the most important thing. Accepting ourselves as we are right here right now is easier said than done.
- Your weight does not equal health. There’s so much more to health than losing weight.
- How did we overcome the comparison? For Emma, it’s looking at her past self and realizing that she’s so much wiser now and also the act of bringing gratitude for life now instead of comparing.
- Take moments of reflection and link it to an everyday habit such as Yoga and Pilates.
- The MerryBody mantra “remember, you are amazing right here, right now” solidifies the acceptance practice and it shows how important it is to have something that is consistent that you can rely on.
Take some time to reflect, be honest with yourself, take note of when you get triggered and have a practice of self-acceptance.
Dwelling on the past won’t bring any good, unless you learn something from it.
We would love to hear from you. If you have any A-HA moments, questions, comments or feedback about this episode, send us an email at [email protected] or [email protected] or message us on our Facebook and Instagram accounts @themerrymakersisters.
Emma + Carla