This healthy salad is SO FREAKING YUM! You’re gonna love it! It comes from our Make It Merry Cook Book!
The cauliflower, kale and pomegranate is a winning food combo! It’s like a flavour explosion in your mouth (literally with those pomegranates!) #pomegranatelove
We really do love kale. But only when it’s cooked. We don’t like to use the word ‘hate’ often but far out we really hate raw kale. It tastes bad and it’s not even that good for you!
[Tweet “Raw kale tastes bad and it’s not even that good for you! #cookyourkale”]
You see, raw kale along with other raw cruciferous veggies like cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli block your body from using the iodine it needs to function properly.
If the thyroid doesn’t have enough iodine, the cells start overgrowing and the thyroid gets bigger — this is called a goiter (Emma had this! Read about it here). That’s why these foods are often called “goitrogens,” because they make the thyroid swell as it’s trying harder to make your thyroid hormones with limited raw materials. From MindBodyGreen.
You do have to eat a lot of raw kale to feel these negative effects or have other underlying issues, like an iodine deficiency. But the point is you can cook your kale and make it more yummy and it’s good for you! It’s especially yummy in this Caulirice, Kale and Pomegranate Salad!
Let us know what you think about raw kale in the comments below!
Emma + Carla
p.s this recipe features in our Make It Merry cookbook along with 70 other quick, easy and delish recipes to boost your health and happiness!
- 8 kale leaves torn off stem and shredded
- 1 cauliflower head cut into florets
- 1 onion diced
- 1 pomegranate (seeds)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander chopped
- Coconut oil for the pan
- Grate the cauliflower or whiz in a food processor until it forms 'rice'.
- Heat the coconut oil in a fry pan, add the onion and sauté until soft.
- Add the cauliflower to the pan and cook until soft.
- Add the kale and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer in to large salad bowl and allow to cool.
- Once the caulirice and kale mix is completely cool, add the coriander, pomegranate seeds, slivered almonds and lemon juice. Toss lightly and serve!
- Cook the onion, caulirice and kale the day before and whack in your fridge. Add the other ingredients just before serving. Prepping! YEH YEH!