This super yum and fun chocolate, chia and flaxseed porridge recipe comes from our Merry recipe contributor, Carly Hicks of Holistic Life. Over to you Carly! E + C
Looking for a nourishing recipe to begin your day? Well, look no further because I’ve got you covered! This Chocolate, chia and flaxseed porridge recipe is a great way to transition over if you’re struggling with gluten or dairy free.
It’s high in fibre which will keep you feeling fuller for longer and promote good gut flora, plus it’s great if you love chocolate!
This recipe is high in fibre packing in a whopping 20% of the Recommended Dietary Intake for the day, as well as it’s also high in Omega 3 fatty acids to lower inflammation, and high in other nutrients such as Calcium, and Phytonutrients which are high in antioxidants that help to lower the risk of disease.
If you’re struggling with giving up your morning oats or breakfast cereals now that you’ve transitioned over to a gluten free lifestyle, then this is the recipe for you!
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so why not start your day right with a meal that is going to keep you energised throughout the whole day.
This recipe was submitted by Carly Hicks at Holistic Life. Carly discovered healing with whole foods as in 2012 she was diagnosed with Autoimmune Gastritis and had to change her approach to food.
She discovered that by removing gluten, dairy, and grains her symptoms surrounding her disease had decreased, and finally she became symptom-free from her disease in 2015.
Carly is now on a mission to help individuals fall in love with their life, and in love with their body through becoming educated on how to nourish their bodies from within. She is living proof that with time, patience, and a little self-love you can fall in love with your body again and have a healthy and happy life even if you live with disease.
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 3 tbs. chia seeds
- 1 tbs. flaxseed meal
- 1 tbs. cacao powder
- 1 tbs. almond butter
- 1 tbs. rice malt syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp. nutmeg
- Add the chia seeds, cacao powder, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, almond butter and rice malt syrup to a bowl and stir well. Let sit for 5 minutes, the chia seeds will 'gel' and it will thicken.
- Add the mixture to a small saucepan on low heat and stir for 2-3 minutes. This helps to breakdown the cacao powder.
- Take off the heat to cool for a few minutes, then place in a bowl with the flaxseed powder and stir through.
- Serve up with fresh berries, coconut yoghurt, coconut flakes, and nuts.
- You can make this a cold porridge too! Just follow the directions but skip the heating part! Just place in the fridge for about 30 minutes before eating! YUM!