Every Christmas our Grandma or Mum will organise the turkey. The first couple Paleo Christmas’ we’d serve our turkey and leave the bread crumb stuffing off the plate. Not gonna lie, it always looked tasty BUT we knew the after effects wouldn’t be so fun. So last year we thought it was about time we made a Paleo Christmas Stuffing for our turkey!
But this year we are organised! Yay! And because for some reason we only ever eat a whole turkey on Christmas we used our Paleo Christmas Stuffing for a whole chicken. We kind of prefer chicken anyway.
It’s nutty, it’s fruity and oh so Christmas-sy! We know you’re gonna love it!
Let us know if you plan to use this recipe for your Christmas celebrations and we’d LOVE to see your Christmas Day foodie pictures! Tag us on Instagram or Facebook! #themerrymakersisters
Emma + Carla
P.s thinking about kick starting your health journey this year?! Then join our Make Life Merry 4 week Program! 4 week meal plan, brand new recipes, shopping lists, expert advice and an online community that is buzzing good vibes! We’d LOVE to welcome you in!
- 1 whole free range/organic chicken (we used 1.5kg)
- 1 green apple diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed cranberries
- 1 cup macadamia nuts chopped
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 fresh parsley chopped
- 3 tbs. ghee or coconut oil and extra for pan
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, apple and cook until the apple is just soft (about 5 minutes).
- Transfer this to a bowl and stir through the almond meal, macadamia nuts, parsley, cranberries, spices and a little salt and pepper. Allow to cool.
- Once cool add the eggs and stir until combined.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and get your deep baking tray ready.
- Fill the chicken cavity with the stuffing mix, be sure not to over fill.
- Close the cavity using skewers through the chicken skin. You could also tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Place the chicken in the baking tray and rub with ghee or coconut oil.
- Place in oven for about 1.5 hours, you can check it's cooked by piercing the skin near the legs and if juice runs clear it's ready!
- Carve and serve with sides!
- You will probably have extra stuffing, place on a lined tray and cook for about 20 minutes!