Merry Christmas! Scroll down for our Paleo Orange and Almond Cake Recipe!
As much as we had planned to stick to 100% paleo over the Christmas time, we have to confess that we fell off the wagon (just for a couple of days), hence the lack of action on our blog!
We admit, we spent a whole day watching Gossip Girl whilst devouring a bag of choc coated peanuts, oh and a bag of choc coated almonds (at least they were half paleo right?!) And we also admit that we made three batches of choc-o-nut slice (all three have mysteriously disappeared somewhere) as well as two paleo orange and almond cakes that we thoroughly enjoyed over the two day ‘eat as much as you can’ festival.
Yes, the eating was fun: roast EVERYTHING and delicious salads piled our plates for lunch and dinner (times two days!)…but we are kind of glad it’s all over for another year. As much as we like to think we are strong (and can say no to temptations all the time), Christmas was an excuse we definitely over-used this week. But hey, if you can’t stuff yourself silly at Christmas, when can you? (besides birthdays and potentially Easter!)
We are back on the wagon as of yesterday. We did a killer leg work out and bikram yoga this morning.
It is crazy how just two days off from our routine affected us both physically and mentally. If you’re still off the wagon, just remember that the sooner you get back on, the sooner you’re going to feel better inside and out!
As much as we should be giving you some sort of green detox smoothie recipe we had to share the paleo orange almond cake with you (it’s just so damn delicious!)
Emma + Carla
paleo orange and almond cake.
2 hr 35 min
2 hr 35 min
stuff you need
- 3 small oranges
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups of almond meal
- 1/2 cup of raw honey (plus an extra tbs for the glaze)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Place unpeeled oranges in a deep saucepan of water. Boil the oranges for one –two hours or until a skewer pokes the orange easily. Let cool.
- Merrymaker tip:this step can be done the day before.
- Once cool, food process (we use our Vitamix) the oranges to a pulp.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Line a 22cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and honey together untilfluffy.
- Add the orange pulp and blend until combined.
- Add the almond meal and baking powder and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. The top will be golden brown.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Heat one tbs of raw honey in a microwave for 20 seconds (add some water ifusing a thick honey).
- Brush the honey over the top of the cake and garnish with blanched almonds.
- Serve with whipped coconut cream!
Merrymaker Sisters | MerryBody Yoga and Pilates | Easy Healthy Recipes https://themerrymakersisters.com/