Our brekky order used to sound like this: poached eggs on thick toast with a side of spinach and HOLD THE BACON (‘we don’t eat bacon…it’s so fatty’).
It’s a whole lot more fun, satisfying + healthy NOW that our order is: eggs + all the trimmings with EXTRA bacon, avocado…and HOLD THE BREAD (GROSS!)
We have said it before, fat doesn’t make us fat.
As we read more + more articles explaining why we need healthy fats in our diets and why it is the refined sugars/carbs + processed ‘food’ making us fat (i.e. making us sick + feel like insert explicit word here) it’s all making more + more sense.
But wait…’doesn’t fat cause heart disease?’ Well we don’t think so…but after years of listening to health experts most believe this to be true.
A work colleague sent us a super interesting article written by an experienced heart surgeon, Dr Dwight Lundell and he admits to being wrong about the causes of heart disease.
Have a read of the article here.
As we understand… accumulated cholesterol in blood vessels causes heart disease…and the inflammation in our bodies makes the cholesterol accumulate.
To put it simply: we gotta stop the inflammation so the cholesterol can move around the body and not make us sick.
But what causes inflammation in our bodies? Well, it’s those processed + refined foods containing sugar + flour. It’s the excess amounts of vegetable omega-6 oils.
The good thing is, we can reverse the damage! How? Easy! By not eating these ‘foods’ and eating more REAL food.
Ahhh we understand. Wahhooo! Of course there is a whole lot more stuff to learn about this topic and we can’t rely on one article but it is a good start and we thought it was worth a share!
Ok, back to the bacon. We actually don’t think eating bacon everyday is good for us (some paleo folk might be shocked to hear this!) However, we do think bacon in moderation is good for us and most importantly: extremely delicious! What’s better than bacon? SAUSAGE + BACON! Conveniently, this creamy pasta features both. Go ahead, drool away!
Oh! We almost forgot to mention, for all our Canberra friends, we will be at the lululemon canberra centre store this Saturday, 31 August 1pm-3pm! Come enjoy a fresh smoothies and healthy paleo sweet treat!
e + c
- 2 red capsicums, roughly chopped
- 4 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
- flesh of 1 avocado
- 1/2 bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 tsp. chilli flakes
- salt + pepper to season
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 of your favourite sausages, sliced (we get ours from the butcher + ensure there are no nasties in them)
- 4 rashers of bacon, diced (same as above)
- 2 packets of SlimPasta noodles
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- A little coconut oil
- extra coriander and lemon wedges to garnish
- In a food processor (we use our Vitamix), whiz all sauce ingredients until smooth. Leave this for now.
- In a high heat saucepan cook the sausage pieces + diced bacon.
- Add a little coconut oil + the onion to the pan + cook until soft.
- While the bacon + sausage + onion cooks prepare your SlimPasta noodles as per the packet instructions.
- Add the sauce to the pan ingredients and stir well.
- Once combined, add your SlimPasta noodles and continue to stir through for another couple of minutes.
- Add the baby spinach and stir once more.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with extra coriander + lemon wedges.
- Seriously, did that just happen? Yep...delish.