Who needs sugar or chemical sweeteners when you can sweeten foods naturally with things like apples, dates, honey, maple, coconut sugar!
It only takes one minute (maybe less) of browsing our blog to see that we love our sweet treats (especially our new super easy raw paleo nut and seed bites, just scroll down for the recipe!). We have been cooking and creating our (refined) sugar free sweet treats for a while now… and we seriously don’t understand why anyone uses the table sugar variety!
There are good and bad things about each and every natural sweetener, like that honey makes everything taste amazing…buuuuut…it still spikes our GI levels and that some fruits (like berries) are better for us than others (like bananas). Now before you add honey and bananas to the ‘not so good for you’ list, we will say just one thing…any natural sweetener is better than the table sugar or chemical variety. Right?!
Why don’t you try these SUPER DOOPER easy raw paleo nut and seed balls, the perfect snack!
Emma + Carla
- 250 grams pitted dates, soaked in boiling water for around 15 minutes (minimum)
- 1 tbs. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped raw almonds
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup of sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup of shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup of sesame seeds
- 2 tbs. raw cacao powder
- Drain the soaked dates.
- In a food processor/blender whiz the dates, coconut oil and vanilla until a smooth paste forms.
- Transfer the mix into a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients: almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower kernels, coconut, sesame seeds and raw cacao powder.
- Mix well - you may need to get your hands dirty for this one!
- Once combined, roll spoonfuls of mixture into balls.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
- Store left overs in the fridge in an airtight container. These should last around 10 days (perfect for a week of snacks!)
- You really can put anything you like in these! Why not try dried cranberries and macadamias!? Yum!