We watched Taylor Swift’s documentary on the weekend and we knew we had to talk about Miss Americana on the Get Merry podcast.
We always loved her music. We always loved her. But NOW… oh wow, the love for Taylor Swift is so big!
Stuff we talk about…
- The constant goal of being ‘a good girl’ and ‘doing what is right’. We can relate to this in so many ways! We talk about Joseph Campbell’s quote (hehehe love you Dad)…
“Don’t do what Daddy says, because Daddy has one interest and that’s your security. And if you bargain away your life for security now, you will never find your bliss”.
- The pressures of beauty standards in the public eye, starvation, eating disorders. How Taylor being a healthy weight is so beneficial for all of her fans. She said…
“There’s always some standard of beauty that you’re not meeting. Because if you’re thin enough, then you don’t have that ass that everybody wants. But if you have enough weight on you to have an ass then your stomach isn’t flat enough. It’s all just fucking impossible.”
- The dangers of relying on external validation as the guiding light for success and love.
- Taylor’s work ethic… amazing.
- Her perspective on being a woman in the spotlight at age 30…
“This is probably one of my last opportunities as an artist to grasp onto that kind of success. So, I don’t know, as I’m reaching thirty, I’m like, I want to work really hard while society is still tolerating me being successful.”
- How she became vocal during the 2018 mid-term elections, she wanted to be on ‘the right side of history’. We’ve experienced this fear of expressing our opinions, from fear of judgment, feeling not smart enough, fear of people not liking us.
If you watch the doco, let us know what you think! We’d love to hear from you.
ALSO! MerryBody is officially open and you can join just in time to participate in the 21 day Yoga and Pilates Challenge!
Emma + Carla
Image via Netflix