To welcome something new into your life you need to take regular consistent action toward it. But how do you create new habits that stick?
You can’t just do something once and then expect to receive all the benefits. Change happens over time. Change happens with new habits.
This is what we spoke about during the episode
- Find joy in the new habit.
- If-when-then plan. Work out a time, a place and an anchor for the new habit. As Carla says “sandwich your habit into your current life”.
- Get an understanding of how you learn best. Audio, visual or doing?
- Think of a habit you already stick to. Now realise you can transfer this to another habit.
- Monitor your habits in a non-obsessive way such as marking your calendar, having an accountability group, or ticking off your to-do list.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. Remember you’re human, you might fail, skip a session or feel like you go backwards even! Don’t dwell on the past, focus on the next step.
- Know that you can create change and welcome new habits.
If you have more questions about this or if something resonated with you, we would love to hear from you. Send us an email at [email protected] or [email protected] or message us on our Facebook and Instagram accounts @themerrymakersisters.
Join our next 21 Day Yoga, Pilates and Meditation Challenge. It’s the Time for Me Challenge, it starts on June 8.
Check out all the Get Merry Podcast episodes on iTunes and Overcast and Stitcher for Androids. Plus we are on Spotify over HERE!
Emma + Carla
P.s if you ever need further help or guidance please contact Lifeline or Beyond Blue. Asking for help is pure courage.
Photo by Jess Bailey on Unsplash