One of our MerryBody members, Rebecca, messaged us with questions about taking the leap. The leap to quit your job and start a business. In this episode, we chat about our business journey and offer advice on this topic. After ten years of business, we have learnt a thing or two! If you’re looking for advice on quitting your job, this episode is for you!
This is what we spoke about during the episode
- In our early 20s, we realised that life wasn’t just about work. We highly recommend watching the documentary Finding Joe.
- Our business is passion-driven, in that we love what we’re sharing and creating. When we stop feeling that bliss or experiencing that joy and passion, we pivot and make a change.
- Mindset is your biggest tool when it comes to business.
- No formula or guide will work exactly the same in your situation. But of course, these guides, people and experts are there to help, motivate and inspire.
- How did we begin our business? From posting our journey on Carla’s Instagram to blogging to coming up with the Merrymaker brand to collaborating with other brands (influencer marketing, before it was a term) and building digital and physical products.
- How we managed our finances when we quit our jobs, not very well! We had such little awareness of our financial situation and we do not recommend that at all. We recommend the book Profit First by Mike Michalowicz.
- On the launch of MerryBody we had seven members and now we have over 800 members.
- Jarrod, our Internet Godfather, helped us build not just one, not two, but three apps. If you find someone enthusiastic for your vision and willing to help you, count yourself very lucky! We do!
- You don’t need to take that leap straight away. Take baby steps towards it.
- Maybe you shouldn’t think about the monetising yet. Maybe you should just think about the stuff you like to do.
We had so much fun chatting about business! If you enjoyed the podcast episode be sure to sign up to the waitlist for our 200 hour yoga teacher training program.
Download our FREE Self Care Checklist and you’ll find 50 brand new ideas to practice self-care.
Check out all the Get Merry Podcast episodes on iTunes and Overcast and Stitcher for Androids. Plus we are on Spotify over HERE! If you loved this episode, if you love this podcast, we would appreciate you leaving us a review on whatever podcast app you’re listening to.
Emma + Carla