Ahhh this detox salad is all kinds of delish and it’s perfect during these super hot and sweaty summer days! This recipe is brought to you by our fave supermarket, SupaBarn. They have the most epic fresh produce section and don’t even get us started on their health food section.
Hot summer days = don’t feel like cooking. Becuase a. more beach/pool time b. too hot to turn the oven/cooktop on c. too hot just wanna sit in front of fan/AC and drink icy cold smoothies.
We feel ya!
But we can’t just live off smoothies. Well, we probably could BUT if you’re like us you like eating and chewing food as well as drinking.
This is the perfect salad to chomp into. Becuase it’s completely raw (no cooking) and it’s super good for you.
This is why it’s good for you and why we call it the delicious detox salad.
It’s got a bunch of fresh herbs.
Fresh herbs are cleansing and packed with good stuff. Heaps of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. Plus they fight inflammation. Boom.
A salad is not finished without a serve of avo we say. You know we’re all about that fat! And yes, if you are late to the party fat does not make you fat! In fact your body will thrive off the good kind of fats. You’ll have happy hormones, more energy and you’ll feel magical.
This is the secret weapon. Not only does it make this detox salad super tasty, ginger will boost your immunity (yes, still important in Summer!), it’s anti-fungal, aids digestion, helps to promote weight loss and so much more. Ginger wins.
Seriously underrated salad/any meal topper. They are freaking yumamazeballs. Toast them up or just eat them raw (like we did). They boost your energy, keep you feeling fuller for longer and they have magnesium in them! Sahhh good for you!
All the other veggies.
If you hadn’t noticed this salad is packed with a variety of veggies. This is a good thing. We recently interviewed the founder of the Seed Concept app and naturopath, Belinda Kirkpatrick and she recommended we all eat 5 cups of veggies (measured when raw) every single day with 7 different varieties. Yes, we said 5 cups and 7 varieties of veggies. Do you eat this now…?
Seriously yum. We just ate a big bowl with a can of tuna. Add your fave protein to go with it or serve it at your next BBQ. If you make it, let us know! Share your picture with us on social media #GetMerry.
Emma + Carla
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) mixed lettuce
- 100 g snow pea sprouts
- 3 sticks of celery chopped
- 1 punnet cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 1 carrot grated
- 1/2 bunch parsley chopped (less if you want)
- 1/2 bunch mint chopped (less if you want)
- 1/4 red cabbage sliced
- 2 tbs. pine nuts (raw or toasted)
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 cm (1/2 inch) piece ginger grated
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Add all the salad ingredients to a large bowl, except for the pinenuts and avocado. Mix super well.
- In a small bowl add all the dressing ingredients and mix.
- Pour the salad dressing on top of the salad and mix again. You might need to get your hands in there!
- Top with avocado slices and pine nuts. YUM!
- Makes the perfect salad for a Summer BBQ or simply serve with grilled chicken or fish. YUM!