This easy paleo coleslaw recipe is a current merrymaker favourite! It all started from our slight paleo pulled pork obsession. We’d make a big batch of the pork and enjoy it for brekky, lunch or dinner for the next week with different sides and salads. Serious delicious-ness.
As the week went on we realised what we were missing in our paleo lives… coleslaw! So TA-DA here’s the recipe!
Our plan is to bring a big bowl of paleo coleslaw to all the summer BBQs we’re invited to (hint hint friends, we’ll bring dessert too!). We’re also mega excited for pulled pork, coleslaw and apple sauce paleo bread rolls! Eeeeee!
Let us know what you think about the recipe and don’t forget to share a pic with us on Instagram or Facebook! Just use #themerrymakersisters so we don’t miss it!
Emma + Carla
- 1/2 red cabbage shredded
- 3 carrots grated
- 5 shallots chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Start with the mayonnaise. In a blender (we use our Vitamix) whiz the egg, egg yolk, lime juice and mustard seeds until combined.
- Continue to blend and add the olive oil VERY slowly, teaspoon by teaspoon, drop by drop. It should take you around 5 minutes, once all of the oil is added, it will be thick and creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and keep in the fridge while you prepare the veggies.
- Combine the chopped and shredded vegetables in a big bowl.
- Stir through the mayonnaise until all the veggies are coated well.
- Keep the coleslaw in the fridge until you're ready to eat!
- When you're new to making homemade mayo it can be a little tricky! Don't stress if it doesn't go super creamy... practise makes perfect after all! Sometimes we add a hand full of macadamia nuts, or avocado or mustard to thicken it up! Clever, hey!