This is our most favourite healthy salad! We call it the Epic Merrymaker Salad because of all the extras. The crackers that go on top. The cashew nut dressing. Argh seriously, it’s epic.
The best bit, is that if you’re short on time it’s just as good if you leave the extra stuff off. But you should definitely try with the extra stuff. Because epic.
Also chicken, bacon and sweet potato may just be the best combo ever. Looking back we probably should have added avocado too. So please add that to your shopping list!
This recipe was part of our second Make Life Merry challenge. It was the most popular recipe so we had to share it with you all.
Even though it’s winter in Australia we still love salads. Yes, we know since we moved up to the Gold Coast we don’t really have a winter at all (it was 28°C the other day!) but we love salads like this in Canberra too (it was -2°C there this morning!). Just serve it right away with the chicken, bacon, sweet potato hot straight out of the oven.
So this Epic Merrymaker Salad is perfect for winter and summer!
If you make it let us know and remember to share a delicious picture with us on social media! use #getmerry so we don’t miss it!
If you’re after more healthy dinner inspiration or if you need a bit of a kick up the butt to make healthy eating a priority… check out our FREE eCourse. It’s all about finding the right food for YOU!
The tools we share in this eCourse will help you figure out what food makes you feel good! A huge yay for that! You’ll also get some free recipes just like (maybe even better) this epic merrymaker salad!
Emma + Carla
- 6 chicken thighs
- 300g (10 oz.) baby spinach
- 2 rashers (slices) bacon chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1/6 red cabbage chopped
- 1/4 cup macadamia oil plus 1 tbs. extra
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs. macadamia oil
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a container place the chicken, garlic, lemon juice, macadamia oil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Mix together, cover and place into the fridge for at least 30 minutes (you can marinate longer or overnight).
- Take the chicken out of the fridge and place onto a lined baking tray. Place into the oven for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Once cooked, slice nicely.
- While you’re waiting for the chicken to marinate and cook, get started on the other bits and pieces.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the sweet potato cubes onto the tray, drizzle with 1 tbs. macadamia oil, season with salt and pepper and place into the oven for 30 minutes or until soft.
- In a bowl place all the ingredients and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Between 2 pieces of baking paper, roll out the cracker mix super thin. Carefully peel off the top layer of baking paper.
- Place the bottom layer of baking paper (the one with the cracker mix) onto a baking tray and into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, break into small pieces. Leave this for now. You can make these the night before!
- Meanwhile, in a medium heat fry pan place the chopped bacon. Fry until bacon is crispy.
- In a blender or food processor, whiz the nuts until a fine meal forms.
- Add the lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Whiz again until smooth.
- We like to make one big salad. Place the spinach, cabbage, followed by the chicken slices, top with bacon, sweet potato, crunchy cracker croutons and dollop with dressing!
- Woha epic! It’s a good idea to get lots of the salad parts ready the night before or in the morning! But remember you can skips some bits!