So we love coconut oil (WHAT…no…you never would have guessed?!) and not just because we use it in this paleo chocolate recipe!
There are heaps of benefits (a few controversial) to one of our favourite super dooper ingredients: coconut oil (insert oooos + ahhhhhhs + a round of applause). Looking over our recipes you will notice it is in almost every single one (told ya…we are obsessed!) The last few years our friend: miss coconut oil, has come up in the world. No longer scarred with the bad rep of causing heart disease + high cholesterol, it is becoming the peoples oil of choice.
We use extra virgin, organic coconut oil. We have trialled and tested about a zillion brands and currently using Loving Earth.
Now for the benefits!
- assists with weight loss…why? Because it speeds up our metabolisms and even curves those sugar cravings.
- gives us energy energy energy energy. We add it to our super food smoothies for a great boost!
- improves our cholesterol ratio levels.
- clears up our skin. It is even proven to help eczema and other skin conditions. Oh wait… it’s anti-aging!
- makes our hair super shiny.
- it is ANTI fungal/viral/bacterial. So it boosts our immunity, can be used on cuts + bites + warts (yuck…but yay coconut oil!)
And the list goes on and on + on! Have you experienced any benefits? We would love to hear about them!
We mentioned the controversy this miracle oil can sometimes cause. Well it’s no secret…coconut oil is a (90% saturated) fat + what did we use to (along with a lot of other people) believe? Fat = heart disease + high cholesterol + obesity…well we have certainly changed the way we think!
As long as we eat the right kind of fats (yep, coconut oil falls into this category). Coconut oil is made up of mostly medium-chain fatty acids (HUH?) Well this means our body digests and uses coconut oil better than most other oils. Fat goes in + doesn’t get stored, it gets turned into energy! YAY! Half of coconut oil is made up of something called lauric acid (say whaaat?) This is the stuff that makes coconut oil ANTI fungal/viral/bacterial….so this is good (it fights against things like candida, ringworm, athletes foot + the flu!)
You can find coconut oil at your local health food store. Yes, it is a little expensive but totally worth it!
So give it a try + stop wondering why we keep calling it the miracle oil!
As a special treat why not try our gluten free, sugar free, dairy free aka paleo chocolate…this tastes so naughty but is oh. so. good!
e + c
ps. We have a NEW and IMPROVED paleo chocolate recipe! Check it out here.
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup nut butter (we've also used coconut butter before)
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup/raw honey or 1 tbs. baking stevia
- 1 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in to your blender or food processor (we use our Vitamix but a thermomix would work well too).
- Whiz until smooth, scraping the edges as you go.
- This will take around 5 minutes - the friction from the whizzing will combine all the ingredients to this perfect smooth chocolatey goodness.
- Carefully pour the mixture onto a lined baking tray or spoon in to silicon moulds and place in
- to the freezer for 15 minutes or until set.
- Break the sheet of chocolate in to pieces or turn out the chocolate from the moulds.
- Store the chocolate in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Make your chocolate super delicious by adding flavours and fillings! Our favourite is goji
- berries with cashews!