We finally got the chance to meet the dudes AKA Stu and Guy behind 180 Nutrition Protein Powder at a recent Ancestral conference and wowee did we enjoy meeting them! Not only do they create amazing products they also super knowledgeable on the benefits of a real natural whole food lifestyle (they were presenters and we loved their session!). Ahhh, it was one of those talks where our heads got sore from nodding in agreement! Gotta love that! They are also both really nice… and we love nice people!
We also loved hearing about how 180 Nutrition came about.
About 8 years ago Guy was a fully qualified fitness trainer working at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) however through his own research he realised the nutritional advice he was taught (along with everyone else) wasn’t adding up.
“I had come to the conclusion that the infamous food pyramid sucked, and wanted to get to the bottom of it all and find out what it takes for amazing health. Whilst on my search for the truth I stumbled across a small charity that had been helping people with chronic disease (mainly cancer). A team of health professional ‘renegades’ had decided to get together and use nutrition and exercise (mainly resistance training) as their prescribed therapy. The results I saw were staggering and it quickly highlighted how powerful food and exercise can be if prescribed correctly.”
Working in this environment, Guy recognised and witnessed the positive effects from a real food diet (yes, cutting out packaged food, grains and sugar!). He also realised how hard it was to find a natural healthy protein supplement that actually tasted good!
YAY for brain waves moments like this!
“With the concept of a protein superfood in place, I met Stu on a surf patrol at Coogee Beach in Sydney. With an equal passion for true health and fitness and 20 years of graphic design experience, we teamed up together and 180 Nutrition was born in March 2010.”
See… good story that one!
So now, let us get to the delicious (and nutritious) part. The protein powder!
180 Natural Protein Superfood is made with 100% natural ingredients that have been carefully selected in consultation with leading Naturopaths, Nutritionists and International Health and Fitness experts. Not an industrial chemist in sight!
Not only is this protein powder awesome to shake and blend in to delicious healthy nourishing smoothies it’s also perfect to add to drool worthy healthy baked goods, porridge (in fact, there’s a choc protein porridge recipe featured in our hard copy book!) and raw treats… just like this 180 Nutrition Protein Chocolate Slice! Hope you like it! Wait… we’re pretty sure you’re going to LOVE it!
Emma + Carla
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbs. coconut oil
- 2 tbs. tahini
- 1 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup natural protein powder (we LOVE 180 Nutrition Chocolate Protein Powder)
- 2 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Line the base of a 20 x 20 cm (8 inch) square tin with baking paper or use a silicone mould.
- Place all of the base ingredients in to your food processor.
- Whiz these ingredients until a smooth paste forms.
- Transfer the base in to the cake tin, making sure it's even, covering the entire base.
- Place in to the freezer.
- Place all the filling ingredients in to the food processor and whiz until completely smooth, this will take around 5 minutes.
- Take the base out of the freezer and transfer the filling on top of the base.
- Spread out evenly and place the cake in to the fridge for around 1 1/2 hours or until set.
- Carefully turn out the slice from the silicone mould (if your using a metal tin, you may need to heat the edges with a warm cloth).
- Cut in to slices and store any left overs in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
- If you don't have any protein powder swap for any nut meal and add a little bit more cacao powder!