Welcome to the world of Savasana, the ultimate relaxation pose in the realm of Yoga. Often referred to as the corpse pose, Savasana allows you to surrender your body, mind and spirit, helping you to discover deep relaxation and rejuvenation. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the steps of mastering Savasana. You might find this idea amusing… mastering laying down?! You might think, surely, this is the easiest of all Yoga poses?! Well, we would say it’s quite the opposite. Savasana, in fact, can be one of the most difficult poses to master!
How to Do Savasana Pose
Savasana might seem deceptively simple, but to truly experience its profound effects, it’s essential to practice it with intention and mindfulness.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do Savasana:
- Prepare your space: Find a quiet, comfortable area where you won’t be disturbed. Lay a Yoga mat or a soft blanket on the floor, ensuring it provides ample support for your body.
- Lie down: Gently lie down on your back with your legs extended and slightly apart. Allow your feet to relax and fall naturally, externally to the sides, creating a sense of openness.
- Adjust your arms: Place your arms alongside your body, palms facing up. Let your fingers naturally curl, releasing any tension in your hands.
- Relax your shoulders: Roll your shoulders back and down, allowing them to settle into the ground. Release any tightness or tension in this area.
- Align your head and neck: Position your head in a neutral position, neither tilted forward or backward. Find a sense of balance and relaxation in your neck.
- Release facial muscles: Soften your forehead, relax your eyebrows and let go of any tension in your face. Allow your eyes to gently close, inviting a peaceful state of mind.
- Deepen your breath: Take a deep breath in through your nose, filling your lungs with fresh air. Exhale slowly, releasing any stress or worries. Focus on your breath and let it guide you into a state of calmness.
- Scan your body: Bring your awareness to each part of your body, starting from your toes and gradually moving upward. Notice any areas of tension or discomfort and consciously release them, encouraging a state of relaxation.
- Release control: Surrender to the present moment, letting go of any thoughts or distractions. Embrace the stillness and allow yourself to fully experience the serenity of Savasana.
- Stay present: Remain in Savasana for 5 to 10 minutes, or longer if desired. Keep your mind focused on your breath, observing the rise and fall of each inhale and exhale. Enjoy the sensation of complete relaxation and rejuvenation.
The Benefits of Savasana Pose
Savasana goes beyond being just a pose of physical rest; it offers so many benefits that nourish your body, mind, and soul. Here are some of the incredible benefits of practising Savasana:
Relieves Stress and Anxiety:
Savasana activates the parasympathetic nervous system, promoting the relaxation response in your body. It helps reduce stress, anxiety and tension, leaving you feeling calm and centred.
By allowing your body to fully rest and restore, Savasana replenishes your energy. It revitalises your body and mind, leaving you feeling refreshed and invigorated.
Savasana cultivates mindfulness and awareness of the present moment. It allows you to observe your thoughts without judgement and encourages a deeper connection with your inner self.
Improves Sleep Quality:
Regular practice of Savasana promotes better sleep patterns and quality. By calming the mind and relaxing the body, it prepares you for a restful night’s sleep.
Reduces Blood Pressure:
The deep relaxation induced by Savasana has been known to have a positive impact on blood pressure levels and can contribute to overall cardiovascular health.
Promotes Mental Clarity:
Savasana helps to clear mind chatter and provides mental clarity. It allows you to let go of worries, distractions, and negative thoughts, leading to increased focus and productivity.
Relieves Physical Tension:
The practice of Savasana releases muscular tension and promotes physical relaxation. It helps alleviate tightness in the back, shoulders, and neck, reducing discomfort caused by daily stress.
Supports Digestive Health:
When your body is in a state of deep relaxation, this is when digestion can function at its best. The pose can alleviate digestive issues such as bloating and indigestion.
By reducing stress and promoting overall well-being, Savasana supports a healthy immune system. It strengthens your body’s defence mechanisms, making you more resilient to common colds and flu.
Creates Emotional Balance:
Savasana creates a space for emotional healing and balance. It allows you to let go of self-judgement and promotes self-acceptance. This blissful Yoga pose cultivates a sense of inner peace and contentment.
Now that you are familiar with the steps to perform Savasana and all the amazing benefits it offers, it’s time to incorporate this powerful practice into your Yoga routine. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced practitioner, Savasana welcomes relaxation, restoration, and a deeper connection to yourself.
We have a beautiful guided Savasana meditation inside our MerryBody App. It’s a 17-minute meditation that takes you on a relaxation journey, it helps you let go of thoughts that no longer serve you and welcomes in more peace.
To experience this blissful meditation, simply download the MerryBody App from your App Store and activate your free 7 day trial. Once you’ve downloaded the app, search for ‘Savasana’ and prepare to feel amazing.
Emma + Carla