During December we both lost weight. When we say weight… we mean body fat. We both lost body fat. We know we don’t normally talk much about weight loss but that’s because we haven’t been trying to lose weight (body fat) in a while.
If you don’t know us:
- We’ve both had massive body image issues (you too?).
- We both over exercised, lost a stack of weight which led to hormone issues (read more) and our periods disappeared for a few years.
- Carla yo-yo dieted from age 11 – 21.
- Emma did the bulimic thing in her late teens/early 20’s (read more here).
- We both discovered the paleo diet, this changed our lives for the better… then we gave up the whole paleo thing (read more).
- Since 2011 Carla has weighed between 56kg and 72kg.
- Since 2011 Emma has weighed between 51kg and 68kg.
Before you get thinking… the weight doesn’t mean anything! Muscle weighs more than fat blah blah blah. We 100% know and we know the number does not define us or you.
WE KNOW! We haven’t owned scales since we started the whole real food lifestyle.
But you know what… it’s an easy way to measure progress of a fat loss goal. So we’ve been weighing ourselves every fortnight for the last 8 weeks.
This is what we’ve been doing:
- We chose not to measure cm’s… as we’ve tried this and we just get lazy and stop.
- We weighed ourselves every fortnight so we didn’t become addicted to weighing ourselves (been there, done that!).
- We fast realised that we would not lose a stack of weight fast plus we started weight training again so we probably would be gaining muscle while we lost fat.
- We started paying attention to how our clothes felt as well (we think this is the best, easiest and most fun indicator of fat loss!)
- We’ve been doing pilates and yoga every day. Because a. it’s good for weight loss, strength and toning up and b. it’s so much freaking fun!
- We’ve been weight training at least 2-3 times a week (ok not last week… it’s Xmas time!) and far out it feels good to lift heavy (but not too heavy) stuff again!
- We’ve been eating really well BUT also not being mega strict. We drank at the Christmas party and we ate all the delish Christmas treats, just not too many. We will admit if it wasn’t December we would’ve eaten better. But hey! Life is meant to be enjoyed!
And this works for us. We both feel great and we’re seeing results. #boom
Have we lost 8 kgs in 8 weeks? Nope. Have we been losing weight every weigh in? Nope. Do we feel the best we’ve felt in ages. Yep!
Carla has lost 2.5 kg and weighs 67.6 kg.
Emma has lost 1.5 kg and weighs 59.8 kg.
That’s it! But we can see and feel so much change and this is what matters.
We know this is sustainable weight loss. Not like the crazy cutting up 12-week diet we borrowed from a friend who did body/fitness sculpting comps (which led to us making a mess of our hormones). During that 12 weeks we both lost over 10 kgs each, yes we looked great and yes we felt like shit.
Great, healthy food and fun exercise is what works. We’re so excited to keep going, maintain this way of living and of course share this journey with you all during 2017.
We’re starting our year off with health, fitness, happiness and well-being front of mind with the #GetMerry Challange.
If you have 2017 health goals and you’re over the dieting, negativity and boredom maybe it’s time to #GetMerry instead?!
This is what the challenge is all about…
21 day meal plan. With weekly shopping lists and prep tips to get you super organised and on track.
45 brand new, fun and yum healthy recipes. The 3 recipe rules we follow: quick, easy and delish.
Health expert summit: 16 live video sessions. Fast track your health and wellbeing knowledge with access to world-class experts.
Life time access to recordings. You’ll always have access to the Summit videos so you can get re-inspired all over again.
Exclusive support group. Be surrounded by 100s of like-minded people! Make friends, ask questions and stay motivated!
We’re all kinds of excited. If this sounds like your cuppa tea, join before 2 Jan and save $16 to say cya to 2016. Use the code: BYE2016 when you check out.
PLUS if you join with a friend you save even more.
If you have any questions at all, always feel free to get in touch!
Here’s to an epic, magical 2017. Happy New Year!
Emma + Carla
Feature image via Unsplash.