This naked cake recipe is gluten-free, grain-free and refined sugar-free. And it will impress every single one of your guests… and you’ll need a couple, it’s a big cake!
It’s the perfect celebration cake. We’ve seen it made for Birthdays, Anniversary parties and Christmas (they used red flowers, so pretty!).
It’s a cake that will take some time. but it’s well worth it!
Oh, also if your party is not that big, simply half the recipe.
If you make the recipe we’d love to hear about! Send us a pic on Insatgram or Facebook!
Emma + Carla
Pretty naked cake
STUFF YOU NEED
For the cake
- 4 cups blanched almond meal
- 2 cups coconut milk (canned)
- 200 g (7 oz.) butter
- 1 cup honey or rice malt syrup
- 1/2 cup cup coconut flour
- 8 eggs
- 2 tsp. baking powder (gluten free)
- 2 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 250 g (9 oz.) strawberries
- 150 g (5 oz.) butter cubed
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in water overnight, then drained)
- 1 lemon, juice and rind
- 2 tbs. coconut milk (canned)
- 2 tbs. honey or rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp. 100% vanilla
For the toppings
- fresh or edible flowers
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line 3 x 20 cm (8 inch) round spring form cake tins with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine the almond meal, coconut flour and baking powder.
- In a mix master or blender, beat the butter and sweetener together.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, coconut milk and mix well (don't worry if it looks a little 'curdled').
- Pour this into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and gently mix together
- Evenly transfer 2 cups of the mix into each of the lined tins (just make sure they’re all even!) and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Allow to cool completely before turning out the cakes. Leave these for now.
- While the cake is cooking and cooling, make the frosting.
- In a high power blender or food processor whiz the coconut and drained cashews until buttery.
- Add the butter cubes and continue to whiz until smooth.
- Add half the strawberries and the lemon juice and rind, whiz again! You should have a nice pink coloured frosting.
- Last but not least, add the coconut milk, sweetener, vanilla and whiz on super slow until combined.
- Now, it's time to dress the cake.
- Slice the leftover strawberries thinly, set aside.
- Place one cake on a cake stand, spread ¼ of the frosting on top followed by ½ of the strawberry slices.
- Place another cake on top, followed by ¼ of the frosting and then the rest of the strawberry slices.
- Place the last cake on top with ¼ of the frosting on top.
- Then, around the edges of all the cakes, scrape the last ¼ of frosting. Use a butter knife to make it even.
- Top with an abundance of flowers!
- Keep stored in the fridge or you can freeze separate slices in the freezer.
If you don’t have 23 people to share this cake with you should halve the mix. We just wanted to make a giant pretty naked cake! Oh extra tip! You can make the cakes the day before, store in the fridge then dress them the next day!