Time for another instalment of merrymaker mum! Yay!
This week mum shares her delicious paleo beef burger recipe + top tips for dealing with stress + anxiety. Take it away mum!
When the girls asked me to write my first blog post, 6 months ago it would have been about wrinkles, menopause, forgetting where I put my glasses or how being ‘nearly’ paleo has changed my life… but no, it’s not to be. After some recent negative life changes I’ve been dealing with stress… + a lot of it. So instead, here’s my tips to deal with (+ hopefully get rid of) the stress in our lives.
- Number one is to identify the stress or anxiety. For me, when I chose to miss out on my favourite gym class + opt for a night in on the couch was when I knew something was not quite right.
- Get moving. Exercise releases endorphins + makes you happy (I’ve never been to a gym class + said ‘I really regret going to that’). It also takes your mind off the stressful situation.
- Schedule downtime, yes, exercise is great but so is relaxation + when it’s in your diary you’re more likely to do it. 20 minutes of meditation isn’t time wasted, it’s time well spent on clearing your mind.
- Socialise (with the right people!). Surround yourself with positive friends + family who make you feel good.
- Start a project. I was lucky to have a whole new (merrymaker) household to paint + this project gave me something to focus on other than the stress + anxiety. I find painting therapeutic but you might like to bake, cook (perhaps my paleo beef burgers?!), bike ride, build… anything goes!
- Laugh! And laugh loud! Again this releases endorphins + if you weren’t happy before a big belly laugh, you will be afterwards.
- Ask for help + accept help when offered. Don’t be afraid to reach out. I visited my doctor + took e with me for support. My doctor was very understanding + provided me with time off + organisations/resources to help me deal with stress.
- Spend time with the one’s closest to you (I’m lucky I have an amazing family… they always make me feel better).
- Look at the positives (even the little things). The girls always ask me what I’m grateful for + I usually answer with: coffee dates with my husband (merrymaker dad) + parents (who are in their 80s) + generally taking time to smell the roses.
I’m glad to hear you enjoyed my paleo baked salmon (quick, simple + delish as the girls would say) + today I share my paleo beef burgers (definitely stress-free!).
Embrace the current season of your life,
- 800g beef mince
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbs. tomato paste (check for nasties, should be 100% tomatoes)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 bunch fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- salt + pepper
- In a large bowl, mix the mince, onion, tomato paste, eggs, garlic, basil, thyme, salt + pepper.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop out mince mixture + press into the measuring cup.
- Turn out the burger pattie (you might need to pat the cup a little) + continue with the remaining mince mix. Wa-lah! Even burger patties!
- Place the patties on a high heat BBQ grill (or fry pan).
- Cook for 8-9 minutes, flip + continue to cook for a further 7-8 minutes, or until cooked through.