This paleo caramel date slice has been sitting in our drafts for almost 6 months! And we really do apologise for not posting it sooner. It is probably the best crowd pleasing paleo sweet treat we’ve ever served! Our paleo caramel date slice is courtesy of merrymaker mum and boy oh boy has she paleo-fied this to a T! It’s taken so long for us to post because it’s always gone before we can even think ‘hey! We should take a photo of this delicious, amazing, too-good-to-be-true (but it is) paleo caramel slice.’
The thing you’ll be most happy about is that this is a one bowl throw together kind of sweet treat and it only takes 25 minutes to bake. Which means if you start now, dessert could be served before dinner is done! Quick! Go! Bake!
Emma + Carla
p.s this recipe features in our Make It Merry cookbook along with 70 other quick, easy and delish recipes to boost your health and happiness!
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 125g ghee metled (you can also use coconut oil)
- ½ cup coconut sugar (you could do less as the dates are super sweet too! We've dropped it down to 1/4 cup)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 180z*c or 350*F and line a 20cm x 20cm slice tin.
- In a saucepan melt the ghee and sugar together, allow this to cool (make sure it is not too hot before you add the egg or it may scramble).
- Add the egg, dates, walnuts and almond meal, mix until well combined.
- Press the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow the slice to cool in the tin and cut into squares.
- Enjoy! You can store left overs (if there are any) in an airtight container.
- You can freeze this delish slice! When ready to eat allow to defrost or heat in oven/grill/microwave.