We know it tastes good but there’s actually a few other reasons to fall in love all over again with our good friend chocolate.
one: chocolate is good for your heart (and on valentines day this is super important!) It’s the magnesium in the chocolate that helps our muscles recover and develop (remember, heart = muscle).
two: chocolate will crash your cravings! That’s right, a little bit of dark chocolate can cure cravings of salty, sugary + general junky foods. Remember portion control, you really shouldn’t eat the whole block in one sitting (…except maybe on valentines day…if you’re sharing it!)
three: chocolate reduces stress. The swiss (how ironic!) found that when very anxious people ate a small amount of dark chocolate every day for two weeks, their stress hormone levels reduced! Tick!
four: chocolate makes you happy! Wow, this IS a super food. Studies have shown that people who are generally happy have a lot of anandamide in their system…and guess what?! Anandamide can be found in chocolate!
five: did we mention chocolate tastes delish…oh, we did…this reason definitely deserves a second mention!
So this valentines day get a little creative in the kitchen and try these super easy, super tasty paleo chocolate truffles, sure to melt someone’s heart!
e + c
* merrymaker disclaimer!! This is an old recipe, we no longer eat dark chocolate with any form of sugar!! Check out our paleo chocolate recipe for a 100% paleo version!! YUUUUMMMMMMM!!!!!!
- 200 g of the darkest chocolate on the shelf (we used 85% cocoa)
- 3/4 of a cup coconut milk (not the light kind)
- chocolate fillings of your choice, we used a variety of chopped roasted nuts, toasted coconut and dried cranberries (from Paleo Snacks- they are infused with apple juice, no added sugar!)
- 30 mini foil patty cases
- Place mini patty cases into mini muffin moulds (this assists in keeping the chocolate's shape).
- Chop the chocolate finely and place in a bowl.
- Heat the coconut milk on medium heat until it just starts to bubble.
- Pour the coconut milk over the chocolate and stir slowly until all of the chocolate is melted and combined with the milk.
- Fill mini patty cases three quarters full with the chocolate mix.
- Now for the fun part!
- Sprinkle desired fillings onto the chocolates and mix carefully with a toothpick.
- Add extra chocolate mix to cover if required and we garnished ours with a little extra filling (so we could tell which was which!)
- Place in the fridge for one hour, or until ready to serve.
- If you don't eat them all in the first sitting (we did...oops?) keep in the fridge for up to one week...yeah right!
- Perfect to share with your loved one...one for them and the rest for you!