Paleo mixed berry pie anyone? Uhh, yes! Who would have thought that we could make a pie paleo? Actually, who would have thought WE could make a pie?! Well we did and here it is – our paleo mixed berry pie! This was courtesy of Dr Brett Hill and the guys from Gather with a couple of Brett’s adjustments and then our own adjustments! Oh, and please ignore the lattice… this was our first pie… EVER, so we went for the ala-rustic look… on purpose of course (hehe).
Emma + Carla
- 3 cups almond meal
- 1 1/2 cups arrowroot powder (tapioca flour)
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- 4 1/2 cups mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbs. coconut oil
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 tbs. honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 2 tbs. chia seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celisus + grease a 24cm pie dish.
- Start with the crust. In a large bowl mix the almond meal, arrowroot flour + salt, leave this for now.
- In a food processor (we use our Vitamix) whiz the eggs, vanilla, coconut oil + honey until combined.
- Transfer the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, mix well.
- Knead the mixture until it forms a dough (you will need to get your hands dirty + it's going to be a little sticky).
- Split the mixture into 3/4 + 1/4.
- Between 2 sheets of baking paper, roll out 3/4 of the dough to 3mm thick.
- Transfer this carefully to line the base of the pie dish, make the crust a little thicker where the sides + base meet.
- Place this into the oven for 10 minutes. Now for the filling.
- In a saucepan on medium heat stew the berries, coconut oil, lemon juice, honey, chia seeds + cinnamon until it thickens, this should take around 8 minutes. Leave this for now.
- Roll out the remaining 1/4 of the dough to 2mm thick + slice into 1-2cm strips.
- Pour the berry filling into the crust + lay strips of pastry across the filling in a lattice pattern.
- Place the pie back into the oven for a further 15 minutes, cover with foil + bake for another 10 minutes or until the pastry is brown + crispy.
- Cut into slices + serve immediately. Store your leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3 days + reheat when ready to enjoy (actually it's really yum cold too!).