Before we get into the Paleo Pavlova Recipe. Australia Day has so many different meanings for us Aussies. The typical Merrymaker Australia Day is the BBQ with family and friends, Triple J’s Hottest 100 playing in the background, some form of ball sport e.g. backyard cricket (warning: Emma is hopeless, there will be broken windows), drinks all around and we always finish with a pavlova!
Yes… we know pavlova was actually created by a New Zealander but c’mon, everything good from New Zealand is automatically adopted as Australian. Think Crowded House and Russell Crowe.
This Aussie Day will be a little different to most. The drinking for us will be just H2o (sparkling to be specific) the snags will be missing the bread and well, the pavlova will be completely clean and paleo friendly! YES, paleo pavlova!
Thanks to merrymaker mum who has trialled this recipe 4 times to get it perfect for you guys! There were a couple of paleo faileos but she’s done it! YAY! Just in time for Australia Day!
WARNING: if you’re a real pavlova lover then this one might not be for you but it does the trick for us!
Emma + Carla
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup Natvia
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tbs. arrowroot (tapioca) flour
- 1/2 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
- 2 cups coconut cream (chilled in the fridge)
- 1 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
- 2 tbs. unsweetened shredded coconut
- your favourite fruit!
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees celsius + line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Continue to whisk while slowly adding the Natvia to the egg whites. I will become thick + glossy.
- Slowly fold-in the vinegar, arrowroot flour + vanilla extract (be very gentle with the mixture).
- Place 4 even spoonfuls onto the prepared baking tray.
- Place the tray into the oven, then turn the oven down to 120 degrees celsius.
- Bake for 1 hour + 20 minutes. Turn the oven off + allow the pavlova to cool inside the oven.
- Make just before serving.
- Whisk the cooled coconut cream + vanilla together until it thickens.
- Stir through the shredded coconut.
- When ready to enjoy, place the pavlova bases onto a plate, top with the cream + your favourite fruits (we love berries + kiwi!).