Yes, you could just serve mince, capsicum and mashed sweet potato on a plate but where’s the fun in that? This Paleo Shepherd’s Pie recipe is super easy, looks impressive and tastes amazing!
Serve with a huge green salad or steamed greens! Mmm yummy paleo pie!
This recipe is from our very first eBook Let’s Eat Paleo, which features over 50 other delish paleo recipes!
Emma + Carla
- 6 red capsicums, tops cut off, de-seeded
- 500g mince (we used beef)
- 600g sweet potato, peeled, chopped and cooked
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 200g button mushrooms sliced
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- ½ tbs. dried oregano
- ½ tbs. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. chilli flakes
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbs. ghee or butter
- 1 tbs. coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Melt the coconut oil in a fry pan on high heat. Add the onion and garlic, sauté until soft.
- Add the mince and cook until brown.
- Add the carrot, mushrooms, herbs, spices, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Stir well. Add the water and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor (we use our Vitamix) whiz the cooked sweet potato, almond milk + ghee to make a thick, smooth paste.
- Spoon the mince mix into the capsicums until ¾ full.
- Top with sweet potato mixture, we like to pipe the final layer of sweet potato to make it look pretty.
- Place the stuffed capsicums into a deep baking dish (they may need to lean up against one another) and into the oven for 40 minutes or until the potato just starts to
- These are great served cold. Lunch leftovers are on! Wooohoo!