It’s officially winter in Australia so this means delicious healthy porridge is on the menu! And we reckon this refined sugar free, gluten free spiced pear quinoa porridge recipe will be on high rotation in your kitchen!
This recipe is brought to you by SupaBarn, we love them because they have a huge focus on supporting local suppliers. Check them out over HERE.
When we first changed our diets from gluten-filled to gluten free we must admit that breakfast was the hardest meal to transition.
We loved our cereal and we loved our porridge (best brekky for freezing Canberra mornings! Especially because Mum made the best creamiest oats ever!).
So when cereal and porridge were on the ‘no list’ we struggled.
So then we started experimenting with buckwheat porridge before trying quinoa porridge. And this sugar free gluten free spiced pear quinoa porridge recipe is by far our favourite!
Pears have the best flavour (when they are ripe) and they are in season right now. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg and you have a heavenly winter’s breakfast!
Let us know if you make the recipe! And be sure to share a delish as pic on Instagram or Facebook.
Emma + Carla
Refined sugar free gluten free spiced pear quinoa porridge recipe
- 1 pear grated
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (carton)
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1 tbs. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. natural sweetener (optional)
- 1 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tbs. nut butter or tahini
- 1⁄2 cup almonds chopped (or your favourite nut)
- Rinse the quinoa under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- Add the quinoa and water to a saucepan, bring to the boil, cover and lower the heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- The water will absorb.
- Add the milk, pear, chia, vanilla, sweetener, spices and stir. Allow to cook for a further 5-7 minutes or until quinoa is nice and soft.
- Spoon into bowls, serve with pretty toppings and a sprinkle of extra cinnamon.
- Don’t like pear? Simply swap to apple or a cup of berries! YUM!