Everyone loves potato salad. Are we right or are we right? Pretty sure we’re right! Well let us tell you… growing up we LOVED potato salad. The creamy white potatoes, mixed with boiled eggs, yummy bottled (sugar filled) mayo, topped with crispy bits of bacon.
Talk about salad bliss!
This salad was a summer staple for us. Merrymaker Mum made the best potato salads in the whole universe. Absolutely no ones potato salads compared. We’d eat it for dinner, then lunch and dinner the next day. It was our favourite.
Since starting our real food way of living we don’t eat that many white potatoes (mainly becasue we don’t like them as much as sweet potatoes!) and we definitely stay the hell away from bottled mayonnaise… 99% fat free and 99% full of crap! This meant we had to take action, Sweet Potato Salad action.
The result is good. It’s real good.
Sweet potatoes are our favourites! And we made our own mayonnaise. YES… you can make your own mayonnaise! Talk about magical 😉
We highly recommend you bring this Sweet Potato Salad to your next picnic/BBQ/dinner catch up. No doubt someone would have brought along one of those grose super market potato salads and you can sit back in glory.
We’re kidding… kind of. Anyway make the Sweet Potato Salad and enjoy!
Emma + Carla
Ps. This recipe is featured in our book Make it Merry! With over 70 other healthy, quick, easy and delish recipes! Learn more.
- 3 large sweet potatoes (we used purple!), peeled and cubed
- 4 rashers bacon roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion diced
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbs. macadamia oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tbs. dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, coat the sweet potato with macadamia oil and salt and pepper.
- Place the sweet potato on to the prepared trays and into the oven for 20 minutes,
- take out, turn, and return to oven for a further 20 minutes.
- While the potato cooks, hard boil your eggs and in a high heat fry pan cook the bacon until crispy.
- In a blender add the lemon juice, mustard, egg yolks, salt and pepper and whiz.
- Continue to blend and add the olive oil VERY slowly, teaspoon by teaspoon.
- It should take you around 5 minutes, once all of the oil is added, it will be thick and creamy.
- In a large bowl combine the roast sweet potato, red onion and mayonnaise.
- Peel the eggs, cut in half and separate your egg whites and egg yolks.
- Slice the egg whites and carefully stir through the potato mix.
- Transfer the sweet potato salad in to a large salad bowl, top with the crispy bacon and crumble the egg yolks on top.
- You could use white potato if you want!