We made these low carb vanilla cupcakes with salted caramel frosting and we think we’ve just found our new favourite healthy sweet treat recipe!
They are easy to make and oh so delicious! The cake part is yum alone (and keto, low carb) but if you really want to up the delish factor you’ve got to add the salted caramel frosting, not keto but delicious.
Plus it’s the perfect way to add health supplements to your life, like Lion’s Mane Mushrooms… because why not?!
We shared these cupcakes at a gathering we hosted the other night and EVERYONE loved them, coming back for seconds. The cupcake was described as “buttery goodness” and the salted caramel frosting “the best healthy frosting I’ve ever tried”.
Ok, so why did we add Lion’s Mane Mushrooms to this epic healthy vanilla cupcake recipe?
It’s a natural nootropic ‘smart drug’ so literally you can make these cupcakes and know you’re getting smarter by the bite (hehe).
But for real, this medicinal mushroom is an amazing supplement that supports brain, gut, nervous system and immune system health.
This is from Teelixir…
Lion’s Mane is said to give one “nerves of steel and the memory of a lion.” It contains high amounts of antioxidants, beta-glucans, and polysaccharides that help support and boost the immune system. It is rich in minerals, amino acids, polypeptides, fatty acids, and nerve growth factor (NGF).
Lion’s Mane has been described as the ‘smart mushroom’. It’s used to promote additional brainpower, boost cognition, regenerate nerve cells, improve memory, concentration, and muscular coordination. It can also be very helpful for the gut and digestion.
Although studies have not been done on humans, Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners use it to support brain health, the nervous system, and the immune system. It’s been used for thousands of years!
The benefits of Lion’s Mane Mushrooms:
Boosts brain health
There haven’t been studies on whether Lion’s Mane mushroom is beneficial for Alzheimer’s disease in humans, BUT it does show to boost mental function. Studies on mice show that it does help protect against Alzheimer’s disease and memory loss.
Helps anxiety and depression
Because this medicinal mushroom helps to reduce inflammation in the body, Lion’s Mane is an amazing supplement to take for mild anxiety and depression. Also known to create elevated feelings and helps you to feel grounded.
Good for the gut
Many different medicinal mushrooms support gut health. When regular white button mushrooms can sometimes cause more damage, medicinal mushrooms help to balance out the good and bad bacteria. Tests have even shown that Lion’s Mane can help to restore the stomach lining from the bacteria, H. Plyiori. If you have had this you know how hard it is to get rid of (Emma had it… and will be upping the Lion’s Mane!).
To read more about the benefits and to get some Lion’s Mane Mushrooms into your life checkout Teelixir HERE.
If you make these delicious vanilla cupcakes with salted caramel frosting we’d love to see a pic! Share your Merrymaker creations with us on social media.
Emma + Carla
If you want more recipes with medicinal mushrooms checkout these Choc Almond Keto Cups or these easy low carb cookies with chocolate frosting.
Vanilla Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting
STUFF YOU NEED
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk canned
- 150 g (5.2 oz) butter softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp 100% vanilla extract
FOR THE FROSTING
- 100 g (3.5 oz) butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup pitted dates soaked in boiling water from 10 mins then drained
- 2 tsp Teelixir Lion's Mane
- 1 tsp 100% vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line muffin trays with patty cake cases.
- In a large bowl add the almond meal, coconut flour, xylitol and salt, mix well.
- In another bowl, slowly mix the coconut milk, butter, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Spoon out the batter into patty cases, fill them up to the 3/4 mark.
- Place into the oven for 12 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Allow to cool before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, let's make the icing! Simply place all ingredients including that amazing Teelixir Lion's Mane into your high powered blender and whiz until smooth!
- Once the cupcakes are cool, spread the salted caramel butter frosting on top and nom nom nom!
This is a sponsored post. We only work with brands we love, trust and most of all ones that we actually use! We love the products and the people behind Teelixir.