At some point, you got the idea that your body is wrong. You didn’t come into the world thinking this but somewhere along the way you got this idea. At some point, you were told you had to change to be accepted, to be beautiful, to fit in, to be enough.
How long have you had ‘lose weight’ on your goals list? How long have you felt that you’ll be happy with your body after you lose those 5 extra kgs? How many times a month, week or maybe day do you look at your body and find something you dislike? How often do you feel self-conscious about your body and say NO to things because you feel this body shame?
Lose 5kg was on our to-do list for at least 15 years, if not more.
And every now and then it comes back.
During this episode, we tell you exactly how we deal with these times. How we help each other see the truth. How we don’t allow ourselves to spiral down the comparison and shame black hole of emptiness.
Stuff we talked about…
- Can we remove shame all together?
- What creates this shame? The materialistic ego-driven world we live in? Or the innate hunger to be accepted? The patriarch? Fatphobia?
- How about we just don’t ever think about our bodies. What is the concept of body neutrality?
- How much time are you spending obsessing about weight and feeling bad about your body? What are you missing out on?
- Society and media create this obsession with weight loss and body image to keep us small. To keep our ideas small. To keep us quiet.
If you loved this episode let us know! We’d love to hear from you on social media or email us.
Check out all the Get Merry Podcast episodes on iTunes and Overcast and Stitcher for Androids. Plus we are on Spotify over HERE!
Emma + Carla
P.s if you ever need further help or guidance please contact Lifeline or Beyond Blue. Asking for help is pure courage.
Photo by Mario Purisic on Unsplash