We use blueberries in a heap of our recipes because a. they are just so delish and b. they are so good for us! They are the perfect addition to any paleo sweet treat and we’ve even added them to savoury dishes! The best news is that Australian Blueberries are in season right now (July – April here in Australia)! So it’s time to get your blueberry on!
We know blueberries are not a hard sell! But just so you know… here are some super interesting facts about blueberries and why blueberries are so good for us.
- They are packed full of antioxidants.
- They are known to reverse and prevent heart disease and cancer.
- They are anti-inflammatory.
- They activate fat burning genes (#winning).
- Packed full of so many vitamins and minerals, including: vitamins C, E, riboflavin, niacin, folate, iron, magnesium, manganese and potassium (woah, little pocket rockets or what?!).
- They are anti-ageing and in some cases even reverse the physical signs of ageing.
- Low in natural sugars, fructose and low GI, so they won’t spike your blood sugar levels.
- The best bit would have to be that along with all the amazing health benefits of blueberries… they also taste amazing!
So excuse us while we go and get a handful of blueberries each… you should probably grab a handful too! Or why not add them to your daily superfood smoothie? Or to your morning paleo granola or cereal. We’ve even been adding them to our salads!
If you’re after the ultimate healthy paleo blueberry sweet treat you can not go past one of our most popular merrymaker recipes. Our Paleo Blueberry Cheesecake. OR try out our new Paleo Blueberry and Lemon Slice, which is low in fructose and oh so easy to make!
If you’d like more information on blueberries. We’d recceomend checking out the Australian Blueberries site, it’s very interesting! Here’s just one great fact…
The blueberry is the most famous – and tasty – berry in the Vaccinium genus. Others you may have heard of include the bilberry, cranberry and ligonberry. Then there are the sparkleberry, farkleberry, whortleberry and partridgeberry. Imagine adding a handful of sparkleberries to your muesli each morning! Yes please!
You learn something new everyday!
Emma + Carla
We’d like to say a huge thanks to Australian Blueberries for supporting our recent #merrymakersDoNYC adventure and mention that this is a sponsored post. We feel so privileged to be able to work with great organistaions like Australian Blueberries.
photo credit: maira.gall via photopin cc