Goshhhh we love these healthy potato gems. Or healthy tots… whatever you wanna call them! The most important bit is that they are simply delicious and very easy to make!
And if you got our free monthly calendar then you’re first to know all about them!
Let’s be honest… we all love potato gems. We remember enjoying them with a heap of tomato sauce. Definitely delicious and definitely not so good for us!
We made these healthy potato gems out of sweet potato and pumpkin. But you could swap to white potato if you like. What ever potato floats your boat. We get excited every time we go grocery shopping because our local Supabarn’s organic range just keeps on growing… and yep… they have organic pumpkin (so high fives all around!).
[Tweet “What potato floats your boat? Who cares! Just make these #paleo potato tots!”]
We baked our potato gems because baking always seems so much easier than frying… great for multi tasking. But they’d probably be extra delish and crunchy if you fried in a little coconut oil, ghee or butter. Ahhh YUM! We even made a cool how to make healthy potato tots video…
Let us know if you like these gems, especially if your kids like them! We love hearing that.
Emma + Carla
p.s serve these babies with our paleo tomato sauce! YUM!
- 2 cups cooked and pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup cooked and pureed sweet potato
- 2 tbs. coconut flour
- 1 tbs. onion flakes or powder
- 2 tsp. paprika
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Cook your sweet potato and pumpkin. Steam, boil, microwave, what ever is your preference.
- Puree the cooked pumpkin and potato in a blender.
- In a bowl mix the pureed pumpkin and sweet potato, flour, onion flakes, paprika, salt and pepper until combined.
- Place spoonfuls of mixture on to the prepared baking trays (checkout the video above).
- Place in to the oven for 40 minutes.
- The gems should be golden brown on the outside and soft on the inside.
- You might need to scrape a spatula underneath the gems to lift them off the baking paper.
- Our gems got a little stuck to the baking paper. Be extra prepared and oil the paper up a little.