Ananda Balasana has got to be one of our most favourite Yoga Supine Poses. It’s also known as the Happy Baby Pose. In this guide, we will take you through the steps to do the pose and all the amazing benefits you can experience from it. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned practitioner, Ananda Balasana offers an opportunity to relax and find peace within.
Roll out your mat, put on your favourite Yoga gear (many of our MerryBody Members wear their Pjs hehe) and let’s do Yoga!
How to Do Ananda Balasana Pose
Before we dive into the blissful realm of Ananda Balasana, let’s ensure we have a solid foundation and understanding of how to perform this pose correctly.
Follow these step-by-step instructions to experience the magic of the Happy Baby Pose:
- Begin by lying on your back on a Yoga mat, with your arms resting alongside your body.
- Bend your knees, drawing them in toward your chest.
- As you inhale, reach your hands toward the outside or inside edges of your feet.
- Exhale, gently push your feet into your hands while pulling your hands down to create resistance, which will activate the muscles in your arms, shoulders, and chest.
- Your knees come outside of the ribcage and down toward your armpits.
- Be mindful to keep your ankles directly above your knees, creating a 90-degree angle with your legs.
- Allow your tailbone to release toward the mat, maintaining a natural curve in your lower back.
- Relax your shoulders, neck and face, breathe deeply, finding comfort in this playful pose.
- Hold Happy Baby Pose for 5-10 breaths, feeling the gentle stretch in your hips and groin area. Feel free to welcome some slow rocks side to side.
- To release the pose, exhale and gently release your feet, bringing your knees back to the chest (give yourself a cuddle). Extend your legs along the mat and rest for a moment, savouring the effects of this nurturing pose.
- Option: if you can’t reach for your feet, reach for the back of your thighs. Another option, do one leg at a time.
Remember, take your time, listen to your body and allow yourself to fully surrender to the pose.
The Benefits of Ananda Balasana Pose
Now that you have learned how to do Happy Baby Pose, let’s explore the numerous benefits it brings to your body, mind and spirit.
Hip and Groin Flexibility
Ananda Balasana provides a gentle and effective stretch to your hips, inner thighs and groin, improving flexibility in these areas.
By lengthening the spine and releasing tension in the lower back, Happy Baby Pose promotes proper alignment, potentially relieving discomfort caused by sedentary lifestyles or long hours of sitting.
As you rock gently in Ananda Balasana, you activate the parasympathetic nervous system, triggering the relaxation response and reducing stress and anxiety.
Inner Child Connection
Embracing Happy Baby Pose allows you to tap into your inner child, fostering a sense of playfulness and joy within.
The gentle compression on the abdomen and massage-like effect of Ananda Balasana stimulates the digestive process, promoting healthy digestion and alleviating digestive issues. It’s a great gas reliever!
Relief from Lower Back Pain
Ananda Balasana helps to release tension in the lower back, providing relief from discomfort and promoting a stronger, more flexible spine.
Opening the Chest and Shoulders
The stretching and opening of the chest and shoulders in Happy Baby Pose improves posture and breathing patterns, allowing for deeper and more expansive breaths.
Calm and Relaxation
Practising Ananda Balasana can bring a sense of calm and relaxation to the body and mind, creating a soothing effect and aiding in stress reduction.
Incorporating Ananda Balasana into your Yoga routine offers a multitude of benefits that extends beyond the physical aspects of the practice. Ahhh it really is one of our favourites!
If you’d like to try a class with Happy Baby Pose, sign up for a free 7 day trial of our App. You could try the classes No Bloat Fusion or Water Yin Yoga to practice Happy Baby right now!
Tips for a Blissful Happy Baby Pose Experience
To enhance your journey into Ananda Balasana, consider the following tips and variations:
If you find it challenging to reach your feet, you can use a yoga strap or a towel looped around your feet. This allows you to gently pull your feet toward you, experiencing the same benefits of the pose.
Rock and Roll
For an added element of playfulness, try gently rocking back and forth in the Happy Baby Pose. This motion can bring a sense of joy and freedom to the practice.
Modify for Comfort
If you have any knee or lower back issues, you can place a folded blanket or bolster under your tailbone for additional support and comfort.
Throughout the pose, focus on deep, mindful breathing. Inhale deeply, expand your belly and chest and exhale fully, releasing any tension or stress.
Relax and Let Go
Allow yourself to surrender to the pose, embrace the nurturing and calming effects it brings. Release any expectations or judgments and simply be present in the moment.
Alright! It’s time to do some Yoga!
Emma + Carla
Ps. don’t forget to try out a MerryBody class today!