You wouldn’t know it but we love anything sweet + delicious (… no way!) and we have a new favourite recipe! Introducing our…
paleo blueberry coconut crumble.
You might be thinking… aren’t you girls meant to be on a #summerbody challenge? Well to be honest the ‘no sweet treat rule’ made us a little sad on Friday night when we were craving something sweet. But where there’s a will, there’s a way! (And there was a big will on Friday night!)
If you missed our last post all about the 12 week challenge (you can read about it here), the idea is that we follow a strict paleo diet and ramp up our exercise (this week we introduced hill sprints). This means we are cutting down on natural sugars (e.g. dates, fruit) and carbs (e.g. sweet potato). As we said though… where there’s a will, there’s a way. A simple google search and wah-lah… it seems the humble berry is naturally lower in sugar than most fruit (virtual high 5’s all round!)
So that’s where the crumble idea came from. Not gonna lie… we’re pretty impressed with this super yummy, low in natural sugar, low in carb, low(er) in nuts than most crumbles, grain free, refined sugar free, gluten free recipe! Oh and it’s like the easiest recipe ever! All these ticks, how can we not be happy!?
Ok we will stop rambling now. You should probably go and make our paleo blueberry coconut crumble. Yes, in fact we think it’s probably best to go make it right now.
e & c
p.s. the oven just beeped, time for paleo blueberry coconut crumble!
p.p.s. don’t tell THR1VE! hehe
STOP THE PRESS! This recipe was so darn delish we just had to make a whole merrymaker mini eBook filled with low fructose sweet treats. YUM!
- 500g fresh or frozen (thawed) blueberries
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup desiccated unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- ¼ cup ghee, melted (or coconut oil for dairy free option)
- 1 tbs. Natvia or honey (optional)
- 1 tbs. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Place the blueberries evenly in a baking dish and sprinkle with the Nativia
- In a bowl combine the shredded and desiccated coconut, flaked almonds, cinnamon and stir well.
- Add the melted ghee to the dry ingredients and mix until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumble mix evenly on top of the blueberries.
- Place into the oven for 10 minutes. Cover with foil and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately or save for later (just re-heat!)
Want to know more about fruit? We recommend this great read from 180 Nutrition.