Let’s admit it, tis the season to be silly! It’s time to relax, enjoy, laugh, eat, drink and be merry! But it’s definitely not time to turn our backs on our healthy lifestyles! It’s time to enjoy… and SURVIVE the silly season!
We’ve survived 2 silly seasons paleo style and boy have we learnt a lot!
The first year we sort of (definitely) fell off the healthy wagon. Yep, we ate peanut M&Ms and ice-cream, drank coke zero and drank a little too much alcohol for our liking! The next year, we were strict paleo and drank very little.
This year our plan is to eat 100% paleo (ok maybe some cheese here and there) and we know we’re not going to miss out on anything… because we know the best tasting food is in fact paleo food, yes, just real food! SAY WHAT!? It’s true, you know it!
To prepare ourselves we spoke about what we’re going to do this fast approaching silly season. We felt oh so excited and positive after talking about this, we just had to share! Here are our Tips to Stay Healthy and Survive The Silly Season!
- Stay hydrated. Don’t forget H2O is literally your best friend during the festive season! Find out why water is super important for us.
- Make BETTER alcohol choices. Go for organic wine and if you like spirits mix it with lime and soda!
- Don’t binge drink, take it slow!
- In between each alcoholic bevvy, drink a huge glass of water.
- Exercise! Holidays are NO excuse to stop exercising. You actually have more time to exercise! Make sure you have fun and make it social! Think backyard cricket, bike rides, swimming, mountain hikes.
- Make social outings active! Instead of meeting friends for lunch, what about a morning walk and healthy brunch?
- Assist with organising office/family/friend festive gatherings so you have input into the menu!
- Ensure there are healthy options available for each meal, including starters and nibbles. These tend to be the most dangerous. We’ve got a great recipe a healthy paleo platter!
- Don’t overeat! Just because there’s amazing delish food in front of you doesn’t mean you have to eat it all (we know… crazy right?). Think of the benefits: there will be more left overs for lunch the next day and you’ll stay on the healthy track!
- When you’re at the buffet, stack your plate with healthy green salads.
- Don’t go crazy with carbs. Now, carbs are in almost everything (yes, even green veggies), we’re not talking about green veggies. We’re talking things like sweet potato chips… we pledge TO NOT eat these every day! Instead we’ll be enjoying slices of our high protein paleo bread. YUM!
- Don’t overdo the sweet treats and ensure they’re healthy ones! We plan on making lots of paleo and low fructose sweet treats this year.
- Get a friend to be healthy with you! It can be difficult when everyone is eating terribly and drinking lots around you. Find a friend or family member to take the healthy pledge with you. Support is always a good thing!
- If you fall off the wagon at one event or one meal DO NOT use it as an excuse to keep on going! Wake up the next day and make your next meal a healthy one! Don’t waste ANY brain space with regrets or being angry at yourself! Get a fresh start with s0me exercise, drinks heaps of water and eat good, nourishing healthy food. You’ll feel amazing in no time!
- Don’t forget about mindfully eating! We have a whole blog post on this super important topic!
- Last but not least, get inspired to make healthy meals by trawling Pinterest and Instagram! We’ve got you covered with our Coconut Ice, Gingerbread Cookies and Peppermint Bites!
Got some tips of your own? Over to you! Leave us a comment!
Emma + Carla