This low carb chicken parmigiana with zughetti is a delicious healthy dinner recipe. A few more steps than our usual dinners but so worth it.
We’d call this recipe a weekend dinner recipe or a recipe when you have more time and want to impress yourself. And yes you can invite friends over and impress them too. But maybe we should just do it for ourselves? Haha, maybe this is another blog post to be written on cooking for one (so interesting!).
If you are after some super easy and quick dinner recipes check out this chicken and ginger stiry fry, this one-dish lamb chop bake or this healthy san choy bau recipe.
We never really got into chicken parmigiana. But we sure knew SO MANY people who were obsessed with them when we were in our late teens and early 20s.
We remember there’d be these places back home (in Canberra) where you could get massives ones with all the extra toppings like avocado, pineapple, bacon, ham etc. And they’d just be HUGE. They’d be deep-fried in gross oil. They’d be oily. And yes they were delicious, but you never felt good after and they’re simply not very good for you!
But it’s ok, now you can make this low carb chicken parmigiana with zughetti!
This recipe is from our Get Merry Cookbook, there is a handful of hard copies left or you can get it in eBook version. It’s got 95 grain free, gluten free, refined sugar free and (mostly) dairy free recipes. Check it out HERE.
Can you make it paleo?
You can easily make this recipe into a paleo chicken parmigiana by simply not using real cheese. You could go all out and make this paleo cheese (OMGOSH it’s so yum!) instead.
Let us know if you make this low carb chicken parmigiana recipe. Share a drool-worthy pic on social media with us.
Emma + Carla
- 3 zucchinis spiralized or peeled lengthways
- 4 half chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2⁄3 cup grated cheese
- 1⁄2 cup almond meal
- 1⁄2 cup 100% tomato passata
- 2 tbs cassava flour/tapioca/arrowroot flour or coconut flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano salt and pepper coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- With a super sharp knife, carefully cut the chicken breasts horizontally into thinner pieces
- 2 pieces from each half chicken breast.
- Lay a piece of cling wrap on the bench, place chicken pieces on top, place another piece of cling wrap on top of the chicken and pound to about 1⁄2 cm (1⁄4 inch) thin.
- We used the back of a knife, you could use a meat mallet Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the almond meal, cassava flour, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs.
- Coat the chicken in the almond meal mixture and then dip into the eggs Shake off excess and dip back into the almond meal mix.
- Continue to do this for all chicken pieces.
- In a large fry pan heat a little coconut oil to medium heat.
- Place the chicken into the fry pan and cook for 6 minutes, flip and cook for another 6 minutes or until cooked through Continue this process with all chicken pieces.
- Once the chicken is cooked lay each chicken piece on the prepared baking trays.
- Top the chicken pieces with a tablespoon of tomato passata and spread to the edges.
- Top with cheese and place into the oven for 10 minutes While the cheese melts, let’s do the zughetti!
- Heat a little coconut oil in a fry pan on medium heat, fry the onion and garlic until just soft then add the zucchini and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Serve delish chicken parmis on a bed of zughetti!
- Feel free to add extras on top of your parmi! Slices of avocado, fresh basil, prosciutto. Go cray cray! Also, if you’re dairy free, how about topping with a paleo cheese?!