Almond milk has long been our milk of choice since ‘going paleo’… it’s got a high delish factor + you can easily buy it off the shelf.
Little did we know that our go-to brands of almond milk add a few nasties that we like to steer clear of, including agave syrup (yuck), vegetable oil (double yuck) + preservatives (…whyyyy?!). Since this discovery we became sad: “what ever are we going to do?!” We are seriously addicted to our choc-nut-caramel-coffee smoothie!
We needed almond milk STAT.
Well hold up… if you can buy it in a carton… surely it came from some where first, right?! Right!
Well grab a bunch of almonds, some water, your sweetener of choice + a cheese cloth (or tea towel) because it’s time to (merry)MAKE OUR OWN ALMOND MILK!
Seriously, it’s easier than you think! Let us know how you go!
e & c
p.s what goes with milk? COOKIES! Try out our paleo cookies with macadamias… delish!
- 2 cups raw almonds (soaked in water over night)
- 5 cups water
- 1 tbs. raw honey, or your preferred natural sweetener
- 1 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
- Strain the soaked almonds and rinse with cold water.
- Place the almonds in a blender (we use our Vitamix) along with the 5 cups of water.
- Whiz for around 5 minutes or until the mixture turns thick and smooth.
- Place a cheesecloth (or tea towel) over a bowl and pour the almond mixture into the cheesecloth.
- Carefully twist the cheesecloth around the mixture and squeeze all of the almond milk out (this part is fun!).
- Once you have squeezed all of the milk out (there will be wet almond meal left over) pour the milk back into your blender.
- Add the sweetener and vanilla and whiz again until combined .