It’s easy to understand why self-care is important, in case you don’t know, it leads to better health, more contentment and life satisfaction. But why does self-care often get placed last on the priority list?
If you are suddenly realising you take no time for self-care, you probably either have an insanely busy schedule or you feel guilty to take time out for yourself.
Are we right?
If you’ve ever considered yourself a people pleaser or a perfectionist we are guessing you fall into this category. Also, if you’re a parent we’re also guessing this could be you.
And often it is impossible to take any time for yourself. But it’s time to change that. What can you change that will lead to the possibility of carving a little time out of your day, or your week, for self-care?
So you might not be able to make your favourite 5:30 pm Yoga session at the Studio 20 minutes away. But you most likely can find 15 minutes to roll out your mat and press play on an online class!
You might not have time or the money to book in at your favourite day spa for a massage and facial. How about a weekly at-home face mask? Make your own or use a sheet mask, easy, and wow do they make your skin nice!
However, self-care isn’t so much about bubble baths and day spa visits.
Self-care is about going inward to discover and re-connect with yourself. To figure out what you need to live a happier, healthier and most fulfilled life. It’s about going inward and then taking action.
An action of self-care could be something small or something grand.
If you’re struggling to come up with your method of self-care, here’s a checklist of Self Care ideas to try!
If you’d like a cute PDF version sign up over here!
50 Ways to Practice Self Care
- Listen to your favourite song
- Do a Yoga class (here’s a favourite of ours)
- Take 5 deep breaths
- Get a massage (or ask your loved one!)
- Watch a funny movie
- Reconnect with nature
- Say “no” more often
- Have a mini pamper session
- Open the windows in your home
- Do a heart pumping Pilates class (this one is fun!)
- Clear out your wardrobe
- Go to bed early
- Enjoy a bath with Epsom salts
- Write a gratitude list
- Ride a bike
- Declutter your home or just a drawer
- Go out for ice cream (or stay in for ice cream!)
- Do a puzzle
- Take your dog for a walk (or pat someone else’s)
- Write poetry
- Listen to guided meditation (here’s a nice one)
- Reach out to an old friend
- Detox from social media
- Star gaze
- Have a get together (or Zoom) with your friends
- Go to a museum or gallery
- Dance to your favourite music
- Grow an indoor plant
- Jump in the ocean
- Talk to your best friend
- Buy yourself some flowers (or pick some!)
- Laugh out loud
- Make a delicious dinner for yourself
- Read a great fiction book
- Listen to a podcast (here’s a good episode on Self Care!)
- Write a letter of self-forgiveness
- Join a painting, photography, creative writing, language or other class (there are lots online!)
- Meet a friend for coffee
- Watch a show on Netflix
- Sit and listen to the sounds of nature
- Talk about your feelings with someone who will listen
- Watch the sunset (or sunrise)
- Be kind to someone else
- Wake up early and make yourself a good breakfast
- Give yourself permission to do nothing
- Dress up just because
- Turn off your phone for a few hours
- Give someone you love a hug
- Bake something delicious (here’s our easy cookie recipe)
- Delete items from your to-do list
Now it’s time to identify HOW you will practice self-care and then schedule it into your weekly or daily plan.
You don’t need hours of your day to practice self-care, it can be simple. We believe the greatest benefits will come with consistency. For us, we use our Yoga, Meditation and Pilates practices. You can try out our classes with a 7 Day Trial of the MerryBody App here.
Emma and Carla