With a consistent Yoga practice you will notice amazing changes in your body. As you practise you will feel yourself get stronger and fitter. You’ll feel more flexible, with better posture and a greater sense of comfort and ease within your body. You’ll feel less stressed, calmer and more focused. You’ll also feel more confident, inside and out. These are just some of our favourite Yoga poses for confidence and empowerment, the practice of Yoga can be absolutely life changing.
The physical and mental health benefits go on and on. What gets us extra excited is that every year more and more official and scientific research comes out proving many of the ancient Yogi theories.
The truth is we don’t really need to read the scientific proof to know that Yoga makes us more relaxed. Or that Yoga helps us feel stronger, empowered and more confident.
After each and every Yoga class we each complete or teach… we feel this and more! And this is enough to get us coming back to the mat again and again.
This is us, Emma, Pilates Instructor and Carla, Yoga instructor in one of our favourite poses, feeling strong in Sun Warrior Pose.
The practices of Yoga and Pilates shifted our lives forever. It’s our greatest honour and pleasure to share our classes inside our MerryBody App.
If you’re looking for a method to boost your self-esteem and confidence levels, keep reading!
5 Yoga Poses For Confidence and Empowerment
Cat/Cow or Marjariasana and Bitilasana.
Gosh, cat cow breath will 100% get you feeling great fast. It’s the ultimate way to create mind body connection. If you’re feeling a little scattered today, this is for you!
- Start on all 4s. Hands are directly under shoulders, knees are directly under the hips.
- Inhale through the nose and arch the spine, shine your heart, gaze up toward the sky. Feel the stretch in the belly.
- Then exhale, press the Earth away, puff the back of the shoulders and gaze toward the navel.
- This posture awakens the spine as well as stretching and compressing your seat of confidence!
High Twisted Prayer Lunge or Parivrtta Ashtachandrasana (variation)
This is a tough pose! Not one to jump right in to. The perfect pose to build up to. If you sit a lot at a desk, this pose is for you. You will feel the most epic shoulder and upper spine stretch. You’ll create space and open your heart in this empowering pose.
- Starting at the top of your mat, step the right foot back into your lunge position.
- Sink low in the left leg, the left knee should be directly above your front ankle, creating a 90 degree bend. Your feet are on train tracks or hip distance.
- As you inhale, extend your arms overhead, as you exhale bring your prayer to heart and hook your right elbow over the left thigh, your left arm and elbow points high. Use the bind and the prayer to rotate the torso.
- Hold and breathe for 5 counts. Repeat on the other side. Enjoy that amazing upper body stretch!
Warrior II or Virabhadrasana II
Just reading out the name of this pose you know it’s gonna get you feeling strong. Like a warrior, with over flowing courage and inner strength.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart at the top of the mat. Arms by your sides.
- Step your left leg back behind you. Flatten the left foot to a 45 degree, toes in, heel out. The leg is extended and strong.
- Sink into your right knee to a 90 degree angle.
- Take a deep inhalation, reach arms out parallel to the Earth at shoulder level with both palms facing down. Shoulders should be stacked over hips.
- Take a few breaths in this position, breathing in and out through your nose.
- Come back to the starting position and set up for the other side. Breathe and repeat.
Mountain Pose or Tadasana
This is a foundation Yoga move, one of the essential Yoga asanas to get right. And although it’s simple, oh wow, is it a confidence booster. It’s a great pose to raise awareness of, and improve posture. Try it right now!
- Stand with your big toes touching, heels slightly apart. If this doesn’t feel good, try feet parallel, hip-width apart.
- Soften the knees a little, don’t lock them out. Draw the belly button in and up, but maintain a rib to hip connection. Shoulders draw back and slightly down. Feel your heart (chest) open.
- Let your arms relax beside your sides, palms facing inwards or forwards.
- Eyes are at the horizon line, chin parallel to the earth and breathe.
Child’s Pose or Balasana
You’ll leave this pose feeling completely relaxed. Sometimes the thing standing in the way of your inner confidence is your stress. The pose gently stretches and relaxes the body.
- Kneel down on the earth with the top of the feet flat. Sit the booty on the heels of your feet and with your knees placed slightly wider than or hip-width apart.
- Reaching your arms out in front and bend your upper body forward from the hips until your forehead touches the ground and palms facing down on the mat.
- Hold, maybe close your eyes and take deep breaths. Stay here for as long as you need.
There are so many other poses for confidence boosting, chair pose, tree pose and downward facing dog pose to name just a few! To really experience the magic of Yoga, you can’t just do a few poses and call it a day. You must try out a class.
The best part, you don’t need to wait till you can make the Studio, we’ve got an online class for you to try right now!
If you have any questions about these poses, about Yoga or if you want to talk about mind body connection or breathwork, we are here to help! Get in touch.
If you’re ready to start practising Yoga, head on over to the App Store and download the MerryBody app. Begin your 7 day trial! You’ll have instant access to over 460 classes PLUS we add a new class each and every week, the library continues to grow! Start your trial here!
Emma + Carla