This year we opted against the flu-shot so natural remedies to build our immunity and wellbeing it is! An interesting fact that you’ve probably heard already is that our immune systems rely directly on our tummy heath! Just another reason to think before we eat!
So let’s put gut health as a top priority! Here are our 5 favourite immunity builders to keep you healthy during the colder months! They are our favourites because a. they make us healthy and strong and b. they are tasty!
- Garlic. We have a Greek background and Greek’s LOVE garlic! Our dad eats whole cloves when he is sick… we used to think he was a maniac but garlic has a long medicinal history and studies show it has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. We know it can be stinky… but far out it is delish!
- Turmeric. Filled with antioxidants. It reduces inflammation, aids digestion and has anti-bacterial properties. A wonder-food for your wellbeing! We love adding it to our scrambled eggs, chicken, bread… heck, we add it to everything!
- Ginger. Reduces inflammation and congestion (anyone notice how warm it makes you feel?) and is a great source of antioxidants. Ginger tea with some lemon is the perfect beverage for when you start getting the sniffles and also tastes great in cauli-rice!
- Coconut oil. We could not leave our miracle oil out of this one! It is anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. Studies have shown that at 100% concentration it is a super effective anti-fungal against some types of candida. So many benefits! We put it in almost everything!
- Berries. Take your pick! Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, acai berries. These little bursts of flavour are a great source of vitamin C, filled with antioxidants with anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. We have them on… pancakes, in smoothies, on our mug cakes… just completely yum.
Let us know what your immunity boosting tips are and if you have a go-to paleo recipe for when you’re feeling a little worse for ware. We like to make a batch of our paleo ‘potato’ and leek soup!
Emma + Carla
photo credit: madlyinlovewithlife via photopin cc
photo credit: sweetbeetandgreenbean via photopin cc